Saturday, November 10, 2012

Moments In School That Make Me Smile

I think some day...on a particularly whiny day...I need to take some photos to document the chaos.  I never think of that while it is happening.  The only thing I can think of is how great a personal retreat would be right about then.  I want to get far, far away and be in utter silence.  But, simply wishing the chaos away never does the trick, so I initiate damage-control and try to get on with my day.  Maybe I should even take some video to prove the rising volume of our school room throughout our studies.  Maybe not.  I think I'll spare you. 

But, some days (or at least, moments!) are relatively calm.  When those moments come, they make me smile and remember again why homeschooling is for me in this season of our lives.  I get to witness my kids starting to teach each other, my babies mastering new ideas and problems, and at the end of it all, we still like each other. 


Jeshurun has started reading to Huy and taking over a few things for me.  I am so proud of him!

Kyla doing her "maths!" I am using a second-hand math workbook that Huy grew out of.  So cute to see her concentrate so much!  (Well, at least to get a few quiet minutes out of her!)

The other day, we were talking about the pros and cons of homeschool, public school and the like.  I told him that maybe one day (because who really knows what next year will hold?) he might not homeschool - but be in a different classroom setting with a teacher he would have to get to know.  He told me, confidently, that he would much prefer to stay here with the younger kids and me.  He said, "Who would I talk to?  If I am having a bad day, I wouldn't be able to share with my teacher about how I am doing and about the things that make me frustrated or sad.  I like being able to see you all day and get to share with you all day long.  I would miss you too much."  For me, that is fuel enough for me to keep going when we hit bumps in the road. 

Sure, I remember when I grew in friendship with my teachers at public school...and I am thankful for their investment in my life.  But, for this season, my kids are some of my best friends...and it is a huge privilege to keep them close!  I am thanking God for this opportunity today!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...