Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You Know You Live In Thailand When...

I was going to do a post about how hard being a mother is...blah, blah blah...

Instead, I thought I'd compose a new "You Know You Live In Thailand When..." list for old-times sake.  I used to add these in our emails out to friends and family but have gotten out of the habit. 

You Know You Live In Thailand When...

1.  ...the ants here can find and eat almost anything; a roll of Tums in the upstairs bathroom, my herb garden, a lonely grain of rice that fell minutes before on the kitchen floor.  One of my friends once had her undergarments eaten by ants.  No kidding.

2.  ...power outages are just a way of life.  I am sure that in other third-world countries, that they are more frequent and longer, but here they seem to not even be an annoyance for Thais.  In the U.S., I remember my neighbors and I knocking on each other's doors and throwing up our arms and complaining that we couldn't watch our shows anymore or sit in the a.c. all day.  Here, I notice that people just shrug and go sit outside to hang out with everybody else or just get on with their days anyway.  I am working on being so flexible.  :)

3.  ...the marketing here says that skin-whitening is the coolest.  Skin-whitening chemicals are found in so many personal care products that it is baffling.  Lotions, face wash, I can see the obvious placement there.  But, deodorant?  Last time I checked, NO ONE was checking out how white my armpits were.  And, the latest I've seen...juice.  Juice?  What is that supposed to whiten?

4.  ...you can find a bunch of flowers at the market for 30 cents, a wonderfully delicious fried fish for a dollar and a trendy new shirt for 3 bucks. 

Living here is an adventure, day in and day out.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...