Friday, February 17, 2012

Mom-isms Part Two



Well...ever since this post, I have been thinking of more "Mom-isms" that I repeat incessantly.  More than just the cliche, "you'll shoot your eye out!"...I observe that every family has their own little sayings not derived from Grandma's house or funny movies.  Here are some more of mine:


"Unless you are bleeding from the head, don't bother me until nap time is over."  This one is very helpful for my little boys.  When it is time for naps, they come up with every excuse possible ("I'm thirsty," "The noise outside is distracting me from sleep," "Mom, what are we doing after this???")...to come and interrupt my talk-time with Treavor or my highly-anticipated Internet break in the afternoon.  To give them some understanding as to what exactly constitutes as a viable excuse...I explain it graphic details.  Boys "get" it.  I wonder what I'll use for Kyla?  Ideas?


"Worship is not a contact sport."  Oh.  I wish I didn't have to use this one.  If you have ever led your kids in a worship session at your house, then you already know what I mean.  Jeshurun, with all sincerity, thinks that his latest Kung-Fu moves are like worship to God.  Maybe.  But I'm sure his brother doesn't want a kick to the gut while he dances to "It Is Well With My Soul."  Worship is NOT a contact sport.  


"Listen with your eyes, please."  This one is great for adults, too.  Unless I get eye-contact from my kids while I instruct them, rebuke them, give them directions, etc...I get no meaningful response.  When they look at me as well as listen, it seems to "stick" better.  I need to practice this, too.  Already, my 20-month old knows that when I answer "uh-huh...uh-huh..." with my eyes fixated on a book or a screen, that I am not actually listening.  Same goes for kids with a .2-second attention span.  Try it out today.

What are some more of yours?  I always need more for my arsenal.



1 comment:

  1. one that is repeated at our house on a regular basis is
    "cayden obey" I'm not sure if this is good or not cause now he's saying it to everyone....the dog his brothers his stuffed animals

    another one
    "children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right" He also repeats this to Joseph when he wants joseph to "obey" him

    come here and let's talk about it

    look at my eyes

    Joseph focus!

    i'm sure there's more but i'll have to think about it.

    ; )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...