Monday, July 11, 2011

The "Start-Over"

photo credit
Every now and then, don't you just wish you could start the day over again?

Usually, this thought runs through my head if I've woken up later than planned, are sick, tired and/or horribly irritable.  Sometimes there is a reason, and sometimes there isn't!  At least...one that I can figure out.

On these mornings, I have a frown permanently fixed on my face and snap at my kids.  Every little thing can bother me.  And, as the morning progresses, I am become more and more painfully aware of my sour attitude. 

Enter the "Start-Over."

When these mornings happen upon us, I like to enforce the "Start-Over" with myself first...and find that my kids (and unsuspecting husband - if he happens to be around that morning) quickly follow suit.  It is so helpful for an instant attitude change.  It goes a little something like this...

"HEY GUYS!  I think we need a "Start-Over" this morning.  Sound good?"

"Yeah!"

(I exit the room...pray quickly...turn my frown into a beaming smile...and re-enter the room.)

"GOOD MORNING! *smiling*  Isn't today such a WONDERFUL day?"

"Yeah!!"

(I go around to each kid and/or unsuspecting husband and hug them, kiss them, *still smiling*, and tell them how much I love them.)

"I LOVE you!  I am SO happy to see you today!"

They usually respond with the same greeting...smiles creep over faces.  The mood lifts. 

As we continue to interact over breakfast, clean up, school time, etc...I try my best to use a sing-songy voice, *still smiling* and actively encourage rather than nag.  Also, I have to choose to forget all that irritated me to begin with, and treat the day as a new one.  It isn't wishful thinking, it is simply not giving into feeling justified in my less-than-loving attitude.  This is the hard part. 

But, if you press through, with kindness, the day goes much more smoothly.  A new start.

If you think about it, your family's attitude sours as you lead...so, the opposite should work as well.  Funny how that works.

Try it out sometime!

A wise woman builds her home,
      but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.
Proverbs 14:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...